Sunday, September 28, 2014

Girls.... not as scary as I thought.

I have two amazing daughters. Jessie was born in May 2011. And Talitha in April 2014. When Jessie was born, my husband and I were so excited! We didn't have a preference on gender. We were just so happy to be able to have a baby. Then when I got pregnant with Tali, there was more of a hope for having a boy. I mostly hoped for a boy because I was scared of having two girls. 

I have two sisters. And sisters fight. I remember fighting with my younger sister. And sisters aren't always close, even when they grow up. I was scared of what my girls would end up like. I didn't want them to be enemies. There is a pair of sisters from my church who gave me hope. They are close, loving, and have made it two adulthood with killing each other! 

And so I went to one of them, when I found out that I was pregnant with another girl. She told me that when her mom found out she was pregnant, she started praying for her daughters and their future friendship. I knew I needed to do the same. I had to put aside my fear and pray for my girls. 

I began to pray for Tali's relationship with Jessie, that God would strengthen their bond as sisters, help them forgive each other, give grace, be honest, have fun, and love one another in the good and the bad. It became, and is, a cry of my heart.

When Tali was born I was worried about how Jessie would adjust. She is the only grandchild on both sides, AKA the center of the world. While my husband and I read books to Jessie and constantly talked about the new baby, we just didn't know what to expect. She has done exceptionally well. And maybe it's just hopefulness, but Jessie seems to truly love Tali. 

Jessie gives Tali kisses and hugs, sings and dances for her, and is very outspoken about Tali being her baby sister. I haven't seen a struggle for attention, or anger towards Tali. Jessie loves having her picture taken with her baby sister. 

It has been a pleasant surprised. I was expecting much worse. And I know, they are only 3 years old and 5 months, there is many more years to come of fighting and problems. I will keep praying, modeling love and forgiveness, and encouraging my girls to see in each other the beautiful gifts that they are. 

I love my girls. It has been a blessing beyond words. And my fearful heart is being transformed to a hopeful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment