Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What's with the name Talitha?

Where did you get the name Talitha?



The short answer is Mark 5:35-43. 

The long answer is this:
We knew that if I was pregnant with a boy, his name would be Charlie Chu. You can't get much cuter than Charlie Chu. But we had no clue what a girl name could be. My husband is all about the sound. He never pays attention to the lyrics in music. He will often come to me with a new song that he likes. I'll spend a minute listening to it, and normally my response is "Did you listen to lyrics?" The answer is no. He is all about the melody.

I am the lyrics. I love good lyrics; thought provoking, inspiring, truthful. I might enjoy listening to a melody, but if the lyrics aren't good, I'll stop. It has to mean something.

And so, every time I brought a meaningful name to Kim, he would immediately decide if he liked it or not, before knowing what it meant! Needless to say this, could be frustrating. With Jessie we knew before I even became pregnant what name we wanted for a girl. He loved the sound of the name Jessie. In Kim's family all of the kids have nicknames that end in a "ee" sound. Kim is often called Kimmy. And my best friend's name is Jessica. It would be a namesake to a very special friend and yet also have the lyrical quality we loved. It was perfect. But what to do with another girl?

I was actually at Chuck's Produce and my cashier's name was Thalia. I liked the way it sounded and the look of the name. When I went home I started doing research. As I traveled down the list of 'T' names I came to 'Talitha.' 

The name comes from the story of Jesus raising Jairus' daughter from the dead in Mark 5:35-43. 

While he was still speaking, there came from the ruler’s house some who said, “Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the Teacher any further?” 36But overhearinge what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe.” 37And he allowed no one to follow him except Peter and James and John the brother of James. 38They came to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and Jesusf saw a commotion, people weeping and wailing loudly. 39And when he had entered, he said to them, “Why are you making a commotion and weeping? The child is not dead but sleeping.” 40And they laughed at him. But he put them all outside and took the child’s father and mother and those who were with him and went in where the child was. 41Taking her by the hand he said to her,Talitha cumi,” which means, Little girl, I say to you, arise.” 42And immediately the girl got up and began walking (for she was twelve years of age), and they were immediately overcome with amazement. 43And he strictly charged them that no one should know this, and told them to give her something to eat.  

Jesus raises the little girl from the dead. He wakes her up. She was completely dead but His voice, His calling out, awoke her. This is my deepest prayer for Talitha. I earnestly ask God to wake her up, so that she can hear his voice, and call out to him, "Abba." 

The meaning was so deep and profound, I hoped that Kim would see it the same way. And he did. The lyrical sound of the name met his approval. We pronounce her name "Ta-lee-tha", and for short it is "Tali". She is my Tali-girl, my little girl. 




Hopefully, she will hear God calling to her to "Wake up and follow me." It is our prayer. And her name is our reminder to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment