Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hey Parents, don't get your panties in a bunch!

This is to all the home-school moms, or dads, or parents of young children, that are stressing out about their kids' education. Take a deep breath. It's going to be ok. I've heard lots of stories about the worries about what to teach, the high school years, going to college, and so on. Seriously folks, you're kids are going to be fine. How do I know this? Because you care.

While I'm not full blown homeschooling my little one yet, I've had several people ask me if she's going to preschool. And the answer is..... nope. Not really. And I'm ok with that. I love my daughter. I care about her education. And so when she's ready, not by society's standards, I will do what is best for her. I'm sure you feel the same way. You want what is best for your kids.

Jessie likes to draw. She likes sing ABC and number songs. She likes to read books. And she loves to play. At the age of three, I think playing should be top priority. I'm not stressing about whether or not she'll know her ABCs by kindergarten or if she'll be behind! Part of the reason I'm not worried is because I see Jessie learn.

She knows how a book is oriented. The pages turn from left to right. Text is oriented from left to right.

She knows the difference between numbers and letters. Letters make sounds. She can count to 10.

She can identify the triangle, circle and square. She can put things in like groups.

(The above mentioned are some prerequisites kids should have before going into kindergarten. I know this because I taught kindergarten several years back. If you want a check list follow this link: http://www.getreadytoread.org/images/content/downloads/Kindergarten_Readiness_Toolkit/03_kindergarten_readiness_checklist.pdf. But don't get too hung up on it!)

She has learned these things NOT from formal education, AKA sitting down and doing "school". But from us talking, singing, and reading. And honestly, a bit from PBS shows and this British show called NumberJacks, which is highly annoying. I don't recommend it. Nonetheless, she is learning. We do "school", letter writing, cutting, letter recognition activities, etc, when Jessie wants to. I'm not going to push her. She's three! Let her play! For the next three to four years, I want to fully help develop Jessie's love for learning. If she learns to love learning and begins to see the value in it, then the dull, mundane parts (like memorizing multiplication facts or reading a stupid book called Metamorphosis) won't be so bad.

I think some of the greatest ways kids learn, while they're young, is through play and discussion. I talk to Jessie quite a lot: in the car, at the library, while we're reading books, bath time, dinner, watching movies, all day, everyday. She asks questions. I answer them. I point things out to her. We dialogue about everything. And because of our conversations she knows about the moon, she knows the words "accessories", and that mommy uses coupons when we shop. She is watching and listening, even when it doesn't seem like it.

Right now we're talking about the changing seasons and colors. We did a art project together. 10 minutes later and she was onto something else. I'm not worried about her. On her time, in her own way, we'll learn together. It's a beautiful thing. And it's not something to get your panties in a bunch. Trust me.





No comments:

Post a Comment